We are very excited to announce that with the generosity of Federated Insurance and the Federated Challenge, BBBS of Central MN has a new scholarship available for current and former Littles and High School Bigs! This scholarship for up to $5,000 per year is for students to attend a non-four year education or training program at an accredited Minnesota postsecondary school that focuses on obtaining an apprenticeship, certificate or associate’s degree. Funds may be used for tuition, fees, books, and other necessary expenses related to the particular program or training (e.g. tools, materials, cookware, etc.) Awards will range from $1,000-$5,000, and will be evenly distributed between the 2 semesters immediately following the application deadline. For example if a student applies by October 1st and they receive $1,000, they will get $500 of their scholarship the following Spring semester and the remaining $500 for the next Fall semester.
Applications for scholarships that will be awarded for the Fall 2017 semester are available online here: https://www.scholarsapply.org/bbbsmn with a deadline of Monday, May 1st, 2017.
Applicants to the Federated Challenge Scholarship must:
- Be a current or past Little Brother or Little Sister or High School Big Brother or Big Sister for a minimum period of 18 months prior to the application deadline date.
- Have been matched through one of the Minnesota Big Brothers Big Sisters agencies: BBBS of the Greater Twin Cities, BBBS of Central MN or BBBS of Southern MN.
- Be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident status.
- Have attained a high school diploma or GED (or will have graduated prior to the term for which the scholarship application is being submitted).
- Be enrolled or plan to enroll part-time or full-time in a non-four year program at a trade, technical or community college or another accredited Minnesota postsecondary school to obtain an apprenticeship, certificate, or associate’s degree.
- Have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (or its equivalent).
- Have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please note this scholarship is not based on financial need, so if you do not qualify for free or reduced lunch, you are still eligible to apply for this scholarship if you meet all other criteria.
Award recipients will be required to:
- Turn in all paperwork when Scholarship America requests it
- Attend “Transition to College” event - summer (High School students only)
- Attend Federated Golf tournament in July or August 2017
- Give back to the BBBS community two times per calendar year through your choice of opportunities including (but not limited to): volunteering at an agency event/match activity, helping at the BBBS office with behind-the-scenes projects, sharing your story with matches or with BBBS staff, or becoming a Big Brother or Big Sister
- Connect with the College Access representative (Ann Matvick) at your BBBS agency at least once per semester
Interested students may fill out the online application individually, but are encouraged to contact Ann Matvick, Program Director/College & Career Readiness Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 320.258.4517 for assistance with filling out the application and with any questions.
To see more information from the Federated Challenge and their generous sponsors please click here.